Monday, June 13, 2011

The Ancient Rock Art of Beerotayim

After our camel ride in Beerotayim, I went for a walk in the desert. Before long, I came to this small, flattop hill.


On the top of the hill were lots of darkly varnished rocks that were popular among ancient artists for serving as the surface for petroglyphs. This hill was especially dense with images. Many of them seemed quite old to me, given that they had enough time to be refilled in with varnish, or patina, as its known here. I don't know how long it takes for a rock surface to develop varnish in this part of the world, but I'm sure it's no less than several thousand years. Here are some of the images I found.









On top of the hill were also several rock formations that reminded me of the swirls of fingerprints.



This rock I dubbed "God's Thumbprint."

No comments:

Post a Comment